1Z0-815 Book (Second Edition, August 1, 2020 Build 2.1): Typos in Chapter 13

JJJ2020

1Z0-815 Book (Second Edition, August 1, 2020 Build 2.1): Typos in Chapter 13

Post by JJJ2020 »

Hi:

Chapter 13 took me longer than expected. There are both new concepts to think about due to changes in Java interfaces, and a lot of details to grapple with. It definitely took longer than a simplistic count of pages led me to expect. Anyway...

p. 305, I saw words that should have been "keep *in* mind" but I think the word "in" got dropped probably...I think last paragraph
I saw at least one place where the words "insure" and "ensure" seemed to be confused, but for those who write daily, I will just refer to this:
https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-a ... -vs-assure

I actually might use the words in interesting ways, like try catch insuring your program against the harmful effects of exceptions....even in software development, ensure means make sure something does or does/will or can't happen, insure is protecting your code/system against bad outcome due to unpreventable issues. Too much said already, next!

p. 329, I believe this is at least the 2nd place I saw "just about any" used in a way I would find misleading. The phrase connotes that so many possibilities exist for something, that "just about any" thing leads to that result, like "nearly every" in meaning. "Just about any input will throw an exception, with the lone exception of an all blank line" ... "not just any" on the other hand, emphasizes that only a few possibilities will yield some result "not just any reader will even notice these points, unless perhaps they were in charge of product documentation as one of their hats."
Anyway, I think I saw non-idiomatic use of the phrase in two or three places in the first 13 chapters, so I mentioned it again.

p. 334, "used to keeps the" <-- drop the s on the keeps
also: "or what data structure is used to keep" may just be better there...
In the Caption: "hierarcy" should be "hierarchy"

p. 335, 6. says it returns a boolean but shows the method returning void, one is wrong...

p. 336 2. and 3. "returns true IF" rather than of? I could imagine of might be intended but seems more likely to just be a typo?
7. "returns AN array" probably meant
"Here are few methods that" probably should be "Here are a few methods that"

p. 332 -- I noticed formatting issues on this page too, it seems that when outside of code example blocks we have syntax like <T> void myMethod()
the spaces around the parameterized type either are very hard to see or disappear completely.
NowtheRomanswroteentireworkswithnospacesanywhereandwereahellofanEmpireforsure.
Then again, they collapsed. I am not sure if this is something only visible in the print version, but again, either the spaces are so small that they are easy to miss or are actually being removed completely because the parameterized type <T> things are perceived as HTML tags or something.
The end results are that in print at least, such lines are more difficult to read than intended.

All of these things are very minor, but as this chapter has numerous sections that bear re-reading or study, and readers might be a bit bewildered coming thru the first time, I think they'd be worth fixing.

Again, I realize this text might not go back to print in its current form, but it is good enough I hope it will live on in some re-incarnation.
Certainly further builds of the E-text seem justified.

There's a lot of exercises in this chapter, as appropriate, so between re-reading a couple of the parts and doing all of them I may be a day or two away from hitting what feels like the tail end of the book, 14/15/16/17. It's exciting enough to have mixed feelings rather than the "Yay, I am ready to take a test that is about to vanish from the earth!" -- I feel there is almost nothing in this book that isn't something that every Java professional should know, really, including all the stuff I didn't know in detail, not all of which is new...

JJJ2020

Re: 1Z0-815 Book (Second Edition, August 1, 2020 Build 2.1): Typos in Chapter 13

Post by JJJ2020 »

p. 332 entries are described as "quiet descriptive" which is a warm and charming image, but should just be "quite descriptive".
I noticed that while reviewing something during exercise time.

admin
Site Admin

Re: 1Z0-815 Book (Second Edition, August 1, 2020 Build 2.1): Typos in Chapter 13

Post by admin »

All noted.
thank you,
Paul.
If you like our products and services, please help us by posting your review here.