About Question enthuware.ocajp.i.v7.2.896 :

Help and support on OCA OCP Java Programmer Certification Questions
1Z0-808, 1Z0-809, 1Z0-815, 1Z0-816, 1Z0-817

Moderator: admin

fasty23

About Question enthuware.ocajp.i.v7.2.896 :

Post by fasty23 »

Would you please explain this sentence "It follows that if the nullary constructor of the superclass has a throws clause, then a compile-time error will occur. " in Explanation by an example.
tnx

admin
Site Admin

Re: About Question enthuware.ocajp.i.v7.2.896 :

Post by admin »

Code: Select all

public class Base{
 public Base() throws Exception{
 }
}

class Sub extends Base{ // will not compile.
}
If you like our products and services, please help us by posting your review here.

aida.alemu

Post by aida.alemu »

So does this mean that if a base class has a no args constructor that throws an exception, you can not extend it with a class that has no constructor because a no args default constructor will be created and this will make the code not compile? (because it tries to invoke the superclass constructor with the exception?)

Just to clarify...test tomorrow.

Thanks

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, that is correct.
If you like our products and services, please help us by posting your review here.

AndaRO

Post by AndaRO »

What do you mean "nullary constructor"?
Is no args constructor?

Thank in advance Paul

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

AndaRO wrote:What do you mean "nullary constructor"?
Is no args constructor?
Yes, see example above.

JuergGogo

Post by JuergGogo »

I don't really agree that the constructor of class B is excactly the same as the default constructor, since the call to super() is missing. The compiler will add this call to super() though and the resulting constructor will be identical to the default constructor. I know this is hairsplitting, but this whole certification is just a tiny hair splitted in thousands of big pieces.

kevin35

Post by kevin35 »

admin wrote:

public class Base{
 public Base() throws Exception{
 }
}

class Sub extends Base{ // will not compile.
}
Hi Paul, can you explain why Sub must have a constructor that throws Exception like

class Sub extends Base{ 
 Sub () throws Exception{
 }
}
For method you can omit throwing Exception when overriding
I know constructors are not methods, you can't override them.
I just don't understand the logic why Sub has to provide a constructor that throws Exception, super() gets called anyway.
The other way around compiles fine tho...

public class Base {}   

class Sub extends Base {
	 Sub() throws Exception {
	}
}

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Because the in case of a constructor, the base class constructor automatically calls the super class's constructor. If the super class's constructor says that it throws Exception, then obviously, the subclass constructor may receive that exception while invoking the super class's constructor, right? So it has to declare that exception in its throws clause also.

In case of method, the subclass method doesn't automatically invoke base class's method. So if it does not invoke base class's method, it does not need to have a throws clause.

kevin35

Post by kevin35 »

admin wrote:Because the in case of a constructor, the base class constructor automatically calls the super class's constructor. If the super class's constructor says that it throws Exception, then obviously, the subclass constructor may receive that exception while invoking the super class's constructor, right? So it has to declare that exception in its throws clause also.
ah got it, tnx for explanation

sivasd

Post by sivasd »

The actual question is "Which of the following classes *have* a default constructor?"
In that case, both A and B have default constructors, so the answer should be A and B right?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Actually, the phrase "default constructor" has a specific meaning in Java. It is the constructor that is provided by the compiler. This is as per Section 8.8.9 of JLS: f a class contains no constructor declarations, then a default constructor with no formal parameters and no throws clause is implicitly declared.

So, although class B does define a no-args constructor, it cannot be called the "default constructor".

sivasd

Post by sivasd »

admin wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:52 am
Actually, the phrase "default constructor" has a specific meaning in Java. It is the constructor that is provided by the compiler. This is as per Section 8.8.9 of JLS: f a class contains no constructor declarations, then a default constructor with no formal parameters and no throws clause is implicitly declared.

So, although class B does define a no-args constructor, it cannot be called the "default constructor".
Thanks for the clarification