CPU usage of MainR

Deleted User 621

CPU usage of MainR

Post by Deleted User 621 »

I've used several of your Mock exams already, and am now preparing for the EJB certification. Great tool! I love it, thanks a lot.

There's one thing that irritates me though. Whenever I'm running the Test Studio my CPU is running crazy hot. In the Activity Monitor I can see that the process MainR uses >100% of CPU time, that is, at least one of my two cores is constantly running at full throttle. Accordingly, the CPU temp is way up in the clouds and the ventilator is running at full throttle too. I'm using it on OS X 10.8.5 with Java 7 installed.

Is this normal? Does anybody else experience the same behaviour? Any suggestions how I could avoid this?

EDIT: It's actually only when I'm running a test. Otherwise the Test Studio behaves ok... but when the question view is open it 's trying to kill my computer :-)

admin
Site Admin

Re: CPU usage of MainR

Post by admin »

That is not normal at all. There is no need for that much CPU or memory because there is no computation involved. I am running ETS Viewer right now and it shows little CPU activity. See screenshot below. Are you sure this is the only app running?
cpu.png
cpu.png (113.85 KiB) Viewed 16298 times
If you like our products and services, please help us by posting your review here.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Even when I click on Next button repeatedly, the CPU goes momentarily up to 5 - 6% and then comes down immediately to 0%.
If you like our products and services, please help us by posting your review here.

Deleted User 621

Yes, I'm sure that it's the process in question. If I kill it, Test Studio quits.

There was one issue which I have just fixed. It seems unrelated to me, but maybe it was the reason. At startup Test Studio always complained because it didn't find japv7trial.ets, which I had apparently left open in the Test Studio when I deleted the file. So, I reinstantiated the file, opened Test Studio, closed the trial test bank, closed Test Studio, deleted japv7trial.ets again. Now, I don't get that initial complaint any more.

As of now, it seems fine running a test. The CPU doesn't overheat any more. I'm only cautiously optimistic though, because also before it wouldn't always overheat. Sometimes Test Studio was perfectly happy.

If the problem is indeed related to that issue of an dangling file reference, I suggest you check the corresponding code, so it will behave more graciously. Let me see how it behaves and get back to this post at a later time. I will be using Test Studio a lot in the coming 10 days.

Gruss,
Yves.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I will have it checked out.
-Paul.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I just tried the same scenario. I closed the viewer while one question bank was open. Then deleted the question bank file from the file system and started the viewer again. It pops up a message saying "Unable to open file because the system cannot find the file specified" and then goes idle. I don't see any CPU usage after then. Now, when I close the viewer (with no question bank opened) and start the viewer again, it doesn't even try to open that deleted file this time and so no message pops up. No CPU usage.

Could you please check if you are using the latest version of ETS Viewer 3.35?

HTH,
Paul.

Deleted User 621

Update: After fixing the issue of the dead file reference, the problem of overheating seems much less pronounced, so I'm inclined to think that it did have something to do with it. However, it's not completely gone. I think in the past 3-4 days of using Test Studio, it happened 3 times. My workaround is to quit and restart the application. Since it doesn't happen often any more, I'm fine with this.

For me, the problem doesn't need any more intervention, but if you want to know the reason for the overheating, I can provide logs or similar. Please advise what to send.

Gruss,
Yves.

EDIT: and yes... I'm using the newest version of the viewer.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,
I have already reported this to the dev team and they are investigating. May be it has something to do with that particular combination of OS and Java version.

thank you for reporting this.
Paul.

SimonM

Post by SimonM »

I leave the MainR app running. This morning, I have the same problem as described.

I have a 27" iMac with i7 cpu. I have the latest ets version 20170225. I start the program by double clicking a shortcut on my desktop to etsviewer.jar - works just fine.

java version "1.8.0_112"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_112-b16)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.112-b16, mixed mode)

When I ran my last test (enthuware.ocajp.i.v8.2.1443 and Creating and Using Arrays Test) the cpu and fan are not idling. I have Intel Power Gadget which shows cpu is at 30% and power is 33W. Using ActivityMonitor I see that one cpu is 103% for MainR.

When I exit the App, the cpu drops to close to 0 and power is 1.5W. If I restart the App the cpu and temp are normal and don't increase even when I continue the same test. I wouldn't expect the App to use much cpu or power because it displays a screen and waits for input (so not much to do).

Probably not related, I see the trial version in the Recent Files list but I'm only running japv8.ets and the trial ets file is deleted. There are no issues if I try to use the trial version except that it can't be found and the real version runs fine (except for the above problem). The only customisation was setting the font size to 5. On a Retina screen it looks better IMHO. Is there a way to remove the trial file from the list?

FWIW I don't have good grasp of Arrays - so "my thinking cpu" works hard too! I have to do some more studying to get the concepts. My concern is really about cpu usage of the program and how common is this. I have only run 7 tests and seen the problem once. I'm in a quiet study area, otherwise I might not have noticed the issue.

Simon

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This problem was fixed a long time ago and no one have mentioned getting this issue after 2013 so I am not sure what is going on but we will check it out. It shouldn't use much CPU.
Can you see any error message on the console? May be something is throwing exceptions and causing the CPU usage.

ETS Viewer uses Java preferences API to store various settings such previously opened files, window sizes, and license keys. You can clear all those settings using Tools -> Clear Preferences menu but you will lose all the settings. So it would be better to leave the entry in recently opened files list. It is harmless.

-Paul.