About Question enthuware.jwpv6.2.1240 :

Moderator: admin

himaiMinh

About Question enthuware.jwpv6.2.1240 :

Post by himaiMinh »

Can GET be an alternative option to get cached version of the resource?
I heard of transfer object that cache response to reduce network traffic. So, using transfer object to cache a response to GET is another option.

admin
Site Admin

Re: About Question enthuware.jwpv6.2.1240 :

Post by admin »

I have not heard or read of any such transfer object. Can you provide a link?
Also, the whole point here is to not have to generate the response body. GET will generate a message body. HEAD will not.

HTH,
Paul.
If you like our products and services, please help us by posting your review here.

himaiMinh

Post by himaiMinh »

Hi, Paul,
I was refering to the J2EE core pattern, transfter object:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/ ... 39757.html

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, this is an entirely different scenario. The TO that you are referring to is meant to get all the data from a business method in one call. So instead of calling multiple getXXX methods remotely, you can call just one getTO kind of remote method once. So you effectively reduce network traffic between a business logic layer (such as an EJB) and a service layer (such as a servlet). This communication is between two layers of the back end.

But in the question we are talking about the communication between a browser and the server. There is no TO involved here. Also, as I mentioned before, the point is to not generate the response data at all. The server should just tell the browser to use whatever the browser had cached from a previous request.

HTH,
Paul.
If you like our products and services, please help us by posting your review here.